Saturday, June 19, 2010

Running For Charity/ Greed in Society

"The Life of a man consists not in seeing visions and in dreaming dreams, but in active charity and in willing service" -Longfellow

Running for Charity

I received an email last week asking me what does it feel like to be constantly running for charity? Its something that I can't really answer with one main sentence. Over the years it has been amazing. I started running for sick children, friends, etc. It gave me inspiration in my running and it gave them a warm feeling that someone is there for them. It certainly isn't easy because your constantly pushing and trying to lead by example. I am no speedster but I give it all I got for charity off that line until I cant go anymore. I am the same way in my training. The mental aspect is the hardest part of it all and trying to stay focused.

Greed in Society

At least once a week I hear from someone quoting the same stuff as always, "the economy is the reason etc..." Yet many times these same people that quote such things are ones that fit into the alarming statistics of greed in our society. I encourage any of you to go to a life of charity and see what it is like for just 90 days. Below are some of the alarming stats of our, "poverty stricken country." I am no rich man but I can't see having 3-4 cars, 5 flatscreens like many of the stats show and then complain about being in poverty. One site actually claims that most americans eat out 3-5 times per week. WOW! That used to be us a couple years ago I bet.

US STATS Per Household

2.28 Cars per household
35% of Americans maintain 3-4 cars
66% of American Homes have 3 or more TV sets
56% of Americans Pay for Cable TV (Why?)
62 Million Americans Have a internet connected computer



Many of these households still obtain these goods while losing their homes:

"U.S. banks repossessed nearly 258,000 homes nationwide in the first quarter of 2010, a 35 percent jump from the first quarter of 2009"

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/50-statistics-about-the-us-economy-that-are-almost-too-crazy-to-believe-2010-6#us-banks-repossessed-nearly-258000-homes-nationwide-in-the-first-quarter-of-2010-a-35-percent-jump-from-the-first-quarter-of-2009-21#ixzz0rJn6HhHt

More stats on the average US Household

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2010/01/04/how-the-average-american-family-spends-their-income-and-how-to-trim-it/



Recources

http://www.autospies.com/

http://www.csun.edu/science/health/docs/tv&health.html

http://maisonbisson.com/blog/post/11088/us-census-on-internet-access-and-computing/

No comments:

..M..O..T..I..V..A..T..E.......Y..O..U..R..S..E..L..F..


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones