Saturday, September 18, 2010

Take the Sand Out of Your Shoe

"Be master of your petty annoyances and conserve your energies for the big, worthwhile things. It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe." -RS

Take the Sand Out of Your Shoe

That statement is so true. I have climbed many mountains in my day whether with the children or with running. It was never the climb that tired me, it was the constant training for the climb that did me in. The same thing with charity work. I had a couple weeks where between grad school and the charity I put in a 70+ hour week. It was rewarding with a sense of getting things done for a better tomorrow but the paycheck was around $20 for the week. Very humbling.

Many people ask me on a weekly basis what is it like to create an event? I say its pretty similar to running with sand in your shoe. You try so hard to make a difference. You stick to your guns and you stay with your mission. I am trying to create these events for children and take the smoking and alcohol out of the events. That is why I support the Tobacco Free Coalition of Cayuga County.

Is it fair that many adults would rather go to a fundraiser at a bar or an alcohol related event? Rather then feature their child and teach them a life lesson in health? I have not been perfect this summer. Injuries finally got me down and took my steam and left me with two shoes full of sand. I would never take one step back though. I know I had great intentions just many times surrounded by those without such intentions.

So today I say take the sand out of your shoe! Remember our children learn from us. Let's create more events for them alone. Adults have enough events for our health(Some mask them as children events but they aren't) but how many do our children have? Very few. Thank you for your time and visit the links below.

If you want more events for your children, you have to help us today at http://www.active.com/donate/therun4life

or register your child for the new race, the Trick R' Trot 1 Miler at http://www.therun4life.org

-Vin
Executive Director and founder of Therun4life.org

No comments:

..M..O..T..I..V..A..T..E.......Y..O..U..R..S..E..L..F..


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones