Sunday, November 27, 2011

Week 9: The Battling Continues

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. -Vince Lombardi


Week 9: The Battle Continues

This is the first week where I literally felt physically and mentally exhausted. Coming off a 32 mile run week which for me is a lot. Also Remember I have only been back to running less than 3 months. The hard part isn't the running it has been dealing with the body. I am now batting my 3rd inner chest infection and something else that I will talk about later in this writing.

Questions

I have been receiving many questions via email and message as to why I was out of running for 15 months. On Dec 1, 2009 I was in a car accident. Broke ribs and it wasn't discovered until later that there was damage to the sternum. I actually ran through town 4-6 weeks after the accident in the snow gathering items shopping for my kids because I had no car. Around March something felt strange but I kept going. A friend of mine passed due to cancer in July of 2010 and I raced for him. After that race I felt like my body was tearing into 4 different directions. I also had a stress fracture in my foot at the time and I was told I needed a rest. So I rested.

Shortly after I felt a change in the positioning of my chest. Sprinting was impossible because it would feel like it was caving in. I rested for almost 15 months until I realized what I have will never fully heal especially if I am running. So what do I do? I get back up and I battle!

Battling Tietzes Syndrome

It isn't a well known condition but multiple doctors have confirmed that they believe this is what I have. I can tell you that if I cough or sneeze you will hear my sternum crack or reposition. It has been a fun night tonight I can say. After that I then have to see Dr. Landers for a procedure that drives a metal rod into my chest for realignment. I normally feel really good after that, but the running wears it back down we have learned in just 2 short weeks.

For more information go to: http://www.tietzessyndrome.com/

So What is next on the docket you ask? Working harder at all costs!

Look Below for my week #9 Workout Plan


Week #9 on TW2G Plan

Sunday- OFF

Monday- 1 Mile 8 x 1 min hard 1 miles 3.5 miles

Tuesday OFF

Wednesday 2.5 mi, 15 minute tempo run, 2.5 min cool (miles) 6.6 total

Thursday 6.2

Friday 3.7 easy shakeout

Saturday 8-Mile Long Run in 60 mins flat


Keep on running!

No comments:

..M..O..T..I..V..A..T..E.......Y..O..U..R..S..E..L..F..


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones