Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Runnersguide Article: On Why You Should Rest

Run Smarter: Not Harder

I have had talks with runners that are running for the first time or for the first time in a long time. The common theme I am seeing is that many are trying to run everyday. I am proud to have met runners that are running inspired. People are realizing through fitness and teamwork, we build a better tomorrow!

A couple years ago that was me. I started my running with a 5k and ran 24 mins. I worked and worked and worked and in the coming months I took 3 minutes off. I think there is a common misconception that when your a runner starting out, that you need to run everyday. This is not true I have found. When I was running everyday I started getting minor injuries and some lead to major injuries. The article Below is about rest and why it is important!

I would like to give a shout out to Anne Musso. Anne has this new found passion of running that I once had. Seeing Anne's passion for racing and everyday running I have found it again myself. Though now I am not allowed to race till after Boston. Congrats Anne from going from a 13 minute mile 6 weeks ago, to running under 9 minutes in the Tipp Hill Run! You don't realize just how good that is! Kudos to you!

Runnersguide Article

Here is a snippet of the article and I will give you the link to read the rest!

"One of the common misconceptions about running is that running every day is the best idea for improving performance. These runners may believe this because they think by running every day they are giving themselves the most practice and the best opportunity to build up strength, speed and endurance. However, this is flawed logic because the body actually needs rest days to recover and improve. This article will provide some helpful information on how often runners should rest and will also explain why this rest is so important."

For the rest of the article go to: http://www.therunnersguide.com/rest/

No comments:

..M..O..T..I..V..A..T..E.......Y..O..U..R..S..E..L..F..


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones