Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Man/Woman Who Has Done Their Best

"The man who has done his best has done everything." ~Charles M. Schwab

The Man/Woman Who Has Done Their Best

I hear many runners say to me, "well I am doing my best!" I agree with all of you many of times that you are. I hear many on a weekly basis worry about Pr's or times. Many have forgotten the true essence of why they started running/walking. I am a firm believer that when we run we give our best each day. Some days that best is on a different level. Some days your body is much more tired than that day before, so that level needs to adjust. Don't get down if you don't hit a time frame that you have in mind in a race. Use it as a stepping stone to working harder or driving towards a goal in the next one. I spent much time in that rut myself. I know that I have a goal to run in the Fillmore 5k in two weeks, but if I don't hit it, I won't be upset. I am truly happy to just be back out there.

What I learned

In Boston I learned a lot. I had originally set my goal to run the marathon in 3:30-3:40 time. In January I was training at a 3:20 pace. In February when I fell I had to figure out how to rehab the fastest and let my PR brain go and change gears. On race day I was shaken but when the race started I had some how convinced my self that it was all still in the realm of possibility. Even though physically it was no where close. Around mile 18 is when I learned the most. I learned "TO HELL" with Pr's. I learned that being in the event is something that is cherishable for a lifetime injured or not. It hit me then, that I had become like many driven by an obsession to hit faster and faster times in order to feel self worth with running. That moment on I said, "forget it!" The last 8.23 miles were the most pain I have ever felt but the most enjoyment at the same time. Seeing the faces of the people that you make a difference to. Seeing the faces of the children out there that want to be like you when they grow up. That was the day that I realized finishing was worth just as much as any record. You can put 100's of medals on your wall from a race but you can never place them in your heart if you are always obsessed with beating yourself.

Fun- This Time Around

This time around it has been a true blessing. I will say that of late I truly don't have much. Things in life are falling apart financially but I have the true joy of running. I am having the best time. Doctors aren't allowing me to run marathons anymore but I can run shorter one's. I have accepted the fact that I won't be as fast or run as far, but I can have fun along the way. That's what its all about. The great thing about running is that you don't need to take out a loan. I know many get into the fancy gadgets but all you really need are your shirts, shorts and shoes. Invest in a good pair of running shoes and they'll go a long way.

Kudos To Kufs

I want to give kudos to Jason Kufs and his new found running adventure. He started out on a running quest on the same day Majorpalooza Run4life 5k kicked off. I find that a cool coincidence. I wish him the best in his adventure. Anyone interested in his story go to:

http://kufsrunning.blogspot.com/

No comments:

..M..O..T..I..V..A..T..E.......Y..O..U..R..S..E..L..F..


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones